As the dying embers of punk faded, this new sound seemed like something we'd been waiting for - the next phase for pop/rock. A big leap forwards while still being rooted in the present.
In some ways, it wasn't really that new. It's a rock record with drums, bass, and guitar. It adds synths, but they weren't really that new, even in the mainstream. We already had Kraftwerk breaking through three years earlier, and dance music soon embraced the technology, e.g. 1977's I Feel Love by Donna Summer. But they were used differently here, and the combination of sounds, the vocal delivery, the visuals and marketing, all combined to make this a massive hit - not only sounding great in 1979, but also sounding great now, over 40 years later.
Shortly after sample-heavy Hot Doggie by Colourbox appeared on the 4AD Compilation "Lonely Is An Eyesore", the label released a collaborative single between Colourbox and label-mates AR Kane as a Double A-Side. The result was less of a collaboration than intended. One side was nearly all AR Kane, the other side was nearly all Colourbox. It was the latter side that got the airplay, and that took the song to the top of the UK Charts.
The fourth and final LP from School of Seven Bells was completed without main songwriter Benjamin Curtis, who sadly died young in 2013. But it's a fine record, and the opening track, Ablaze, is a highlight from 2016 - a year of many highlights.
- Karen - Chew Lips : Fri, 12 Jun 2020 22:47:29
- White Love (Radio Mix) - One Dove : Fri, 29 May 2020 22:53:30
- Message Personnel - Dot Allison : Fri, 29 May 2020 22:53:29
- Film Burn - Yppah (feat. Anomie Belle) : Sun, 24 May 2020 23:15:39
- Gumball Machine Weekend - Yppah : Sun, 24 May 2020 23:15:38
- Salt Spring - Anomie Belle : Sun, 24 May 2020 23:15:35
- Olympians - Fuck Buttons : Wed, 20 May 2020 21:35:02
- Nautilus - Anna Meredith : Mon, 11 May 2020 19:46:28
- Amser - Gwenno : Wed, 6 May 2020 19:46:28
- Deceptacon - Le Tigre : Sun, 19 Apr 2020 17:58:21
- Clearest Blue - Chvrches : Wed, 15 Apr 2020 23:37:50